This shift in paradigm is dramatically different from previous counselling techniques that concentrated on identifying problems and trying to explain their origins. Steve de Shazer and Insoo Kim Berg were the founders of solution focused therapy in the 1980’s both were based in USA. Sadly both have pass away recently.
There are several assumptions that provide the framework of solution focused counselling.
- All people have strengths and inner resources to solve life’s challenges.
- “Change is one of life’s constants”. Not only is change possible it is always happening.
- The counsellor’s role in the therapy session is to help each client identify the change that is occurring and to help them increase that level of change.
- We do not need to know what caused a problem to be able to solve it.
- Change begins with small steps
- The client is the expert in their life.
- The person is not the problem, the problem is the problem
- If its not working, do something different
What are the benefits and potential risks of Solution Focused Counselling?
relationships may improve. Another benefit of solution focused counselling is that the client and counsellor identify clear goals at the start. As a result of this the client and counsellor will both know what success looks like and therefore can easily identify when counselling is no longer required.
Solution Focused Counselling ebook
Stephanie Johnson’s latest book is available, Solution focused counselling…Keeping it Real; The art of helpful conversations, available here! Awesome book focusing on the practical elements of this framework, makes the principles easy to understand and apply in practice.
This is an ebook however if you wish to obtain a Hard copy version at same price contact [email protected] to purchase hard copy. Really easy!
All proceeds of the sale of the book goes to charities that Stephanie is committed to, orphans in Burundi and East Timor. Solution Focused Counselling also supports other charities including The A21 Campaign (see video). Lets make a difference together today!
In house workshops, tailored Training and Clinical supervision:
Stephanie Johnson is now available throughout Australia for personalised workshops and training in solution focused, strengths based, behaviour management, trauma and team work building, contact Stephanie now for more information, give your team refocus with one of Stephanie’s dynamic workshops!
Ring Stephanie today for more information and make a booking for training and one day workshop near you, on 0402 371 448.
Our services & skills
Stephanie can tailor your needs to a workshop format. Stephanie has trained staff from NSW Tafe, Centacare, Centrelink, St Giles and many more. No agency too small or big, we welcome your enquiry.